Pound Cake has been around for a long time and, over the years, it has changed quite a bit. The original was named not because it weighed a pound but because there was a pound of each ingredient. Nowadays, the recipe has been changed up so that it doesn’t make quite as much and also so that the cake is lighter.
For this recipe, we went back to the original recipe and used 1 lb. of each ingredient. When you use that much, it does make two 9×5 in loaf pans. We did alter the recipe a little, so that it was a lemon pound cake which we frosted with some strawberry frosting.
The key to making the cake lemony is the lemon zest, this is where most of your lemon flavor is going to come from! The ingredients call for the zest of 4 lemons, however we recommend that you use the zest of every lemon that you juice, so if you juice 6 lemons, then zest all 6 of the lemons.
For the frosting, we recommend that you buy fresh strawberries and make the puree yourself. We simply put our strawberries in the food processor, but if you don’t have one, than you can just mash them really well with a fork or a mortar and pestle (if you have one).
Strawberry Lemon Poundcake
For the cake:
1 lb butter
1 lb sugar
1 lb eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb flour
1 cup lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
Zest of 4 lemons (or however many lemons you juice)
For the frosting:
1/2 cup strawberry puree
5 cups powdered sugar
- Cream together the butter and sugar for 7 min, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time. Making sure the addition is fully incorporated before adding more eggs. Make sure to scrape down the sides after each addition, to ensure even mixing. Stir in vanilla
- Mix in flour just until moist. Then mix in the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Divide evenly between two 9×5 in loaf pans. Bake at 350F for 60 min. until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the pound cake is cooling, mix together the frosting: Mix together the strawberry puree and the powdered sugar.
- Frost the cooled pound cake.
- Enjoy! ( and maybe like us gain a pound from eating it all! ;))