Lemon Curd: It is one of our favorite desserts. It wouldn’t be a surprise if you found us in the kitchen at midnight (or anytime of day) eating it with a spoon. That is why we are dedicating this month to lemon curd. We are going to share with you some recipes to use it in! These desserts are going to be perfect for spring or summer and you can even enjoy them in the winter months when you want to be reminded that there actually is a summer and it will come 🙂
Our first dessert of the month is going to be a Lemon Curd Tart. This recipe is so good, you’ll want to sit down and eat the whole thing at once! (we know we certainly did!)
For the lemon curd, if you don’t have a thermometer, it isn’t absolutely necessary. You can tell by how thick the mixture is. It’s also important to keep your tart crust cold while your working with it. This will make it easier for you to work with and it won’t tear while your putting it into the pan
Lemon Curd Tart
For the tart crust:
1/2 cup (1stick) butter
3/4 cup sifted confectioners sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
1 tbsp milk
For the lemon curd filling:
3 egg yolks
1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp lemon zest
12 tbsp butter, cold
- For the crust: cream together the butter and the sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend the flour mixture into the creamed butter and sugar. Mix in the milk. Chill for 1 hr.
- Roll out the dough until it is big enough to fit into your 10 in tart crust pan, about 1/8 in thick.
- For the lemon curd: Mix together the egg yolks, eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Cook over a double boiler until it becomes thick and reaches about 165-170F, stirring often and well. This will take about 15 min.
- While the curd is cooking, cut your butter into chunks and keep it in the fridge. When the curd is cooked, remove it from the heat and stir in the butter a couple chunks at a time, until all the butter is melted.
- Pour the curd into the uncooked tart crust. Bake for 30 min on 350F.