Has it already been a full week of 2017?!? We can’t believe it!! Ours was filled with lots of baking (chocolate cake!), a little working (who needs money anyway?), and some Netflix binge watching. Gilmore Girls is just way too good to only watch one! Have you enjoyed your first week of 2017? If it wasn’t so good, these bars will make it all better! They are not only really, really good, but they are also healthy and have only a few ingredients.
Did we mention that these can be gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free? If you want to make sure they are gluten-free, buy gluten-free oats and double check that there is no cross contamination in any of your other ingredients. For vegans, buy vegan chocolate chips. Enjoy Life has really good vegan and gluten-free chocolate chips that you can find at any supermarket. We find that they are typically in the health food/ allergen free sections. For refined sugar free, leave out the chocolate chips. We don’t know of any chocolate chip brands that sell these kinds of chocolate chips, but if you do, we’d love to know about them!
Also, these bars are just as good without the chocolate chips if you don’t have any on hand, don’t want to buy them, or simply don’t like chocolate. For the dates, we insist that you use medjool. They are softer and sweeter than the other kinds that they sell at supermarkets. Bard Valley Natural Delights has really yummy ones- they’re the ones we used!
Enjoy these delicious, healthy bars!
12 Medjool Dates
1 cup dried cherries
2 cups old-fashioned oats (gluten-free, if you want a gluten free bar)
1/4 – 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Line an 8×8* inch pan with wax or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Use a food processor to beat up your dates and dried cherries until they form a paste ball. Remove the ball from the processor and set aside.
- Dump the oats into the processor and blend until it almost looks like oat flour (you want to keep some larger chunks of oats- you’ll be processing it more in a minute)
- With you mixer running, add small chunks of the date/cherry paste into the ground up oats until the entire ball is incorporated.
- Mix in the chocolate chips. You can do this either by hand or using the food processor. If you want the chocolate chips to stay in whole, mix the dough by hand. If you don’t mind your chocolate chips getting chopped up a little, you can use the food processor.
- Press the dough into your prepared pan until it is evenly distributed. Once you get the dough distributed, you can fold the extra wax/parchment paper over the top of the dough and press really hard one last time. (sprinkle with more chocolate chips here if you desire)
- Pop your pan into the refrigerator for an hour. Cut them into whatever size you like and enjoy!
*or a smaller pan for thicker bars. Or double the recipe and put into an 8×8 in pan for thicker bars as well
Questions, comments, or suggestions? Let us know in the comments below, on Instagram (@unchartedbakers) or via email (email@example.com). We hope you have an awesome week and may you always have safe travels and a full cookie jar!