Hey ya’ll! We hope you had an amazing weekend and that you’re off to a great start to your week! Did you do any traveling on your 3 day weekend? If so let us know where you went, we’d love to hear about it!
Today we’re here to how you how to make stained glass sugar cookies and share our favorite sugar cookie recipe with you! These stained glass cookies are so pretty! I mean, just look at them! You can customize the color to whatever you want/need or you can mix them all together and have a beautifully unique cookie! And they’re sure to impress everybody!
Can you believe that Valentine’s Day is less than a month way already? If you make these using only red jolly ranchers, you’ll have yourself a perfectly easy dessert for any party or for your special someone! Not only that, but the Super Bowl is coming up, too. You can customize these to your teams colors. If they’re playing, anyway, our team isn’t but I best not digress down that rabbit hole! 😉
As you can see, the only limit to these cookies is your imagination. You can even decorate the actual cookie with frosting or use whatever cookie cutter you want for the middle: circle, square, hearts, triangles, whatever you want! This cookie is 100% customizable to whatever you want to do with it! When you do make them, please send us pictures, we’d love to see your imagination at work. It inspires us to make new recipes and helps us stay motivated when all we want to do is watch Netflix! ( not that we have spent a whole day watching Gilmore Girls when we should have been baking, nope that’s never happened…)
And if you don’t want to make the “stained glass” part of the cookie than this recipe is perfect for simply decorating. We make a few batches every Christmas and we even wrote a post about how to decorate them: Decorated Sugar Cookies.
Stained Glass Sugar Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
- Beat butter until it’s light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Add confectioners sugar and cream together
- Beat in egg, vanilla, & almond extract.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend into creamed mixture until it’s just combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour before rolling the dough out. While your dough is chilling, smash all of your Jolly Ranchers and separate them into their colors*. (this is probably easiest if you smash each color separately 😉 )
- Preheat oven to 350F. Roll out the dough and cut into your desired shape. Then cut a whole in the middle of each cookie. Place them onto a parchment (or silicone) lined baking sheet. Fill each hole with your desired color/colors.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms are starting to turn golden brown. Let the cookies cool for 10 min before moving to a wire rack.
- Let the cookies cool completely before serving or before you frost them if you wish to do so. Enjoy!
*We used a rolling pin and some plastic baggies.
Check out our video on how to make these:
Thank you for reading! If you have questions, suggestions, or want to show us what you’re baking: let us know in the comments below, on Instagram (@unchartedbakers), Facebook (@unchartedbakers), or via email (email@example.com). We hope you have a great week, safe travels and may you always have a cookie in your cookie jar!